Age restricted sales
As a responsible business, we age restrict a number of our products to safeguard the welfare of our customers.
The following items are age restricted and age identification will be requested if deemed necessary.
(Please see all our Challenge 25 policy.)
Customers must be aged 18 or over to purchase the following:
- National Lottery products, including scratch cards, and the paying out of prizes
- Alcohol (including a limited range of food which contains alcohol)
- Knives and bladed items (excludes replacement cartridges for safety razors)
- Tobacco and related products (including cigarette papers, filters, lighter fluid and matches etc.)
- Firelighters and related products (including lighting fluid, white spirit, disposable BBQs etc.)
- Gas cylinders
- Sleep remedies
- Stimulant laxatives
- Hemp Seed/CBD containing products
Customers must be aged 16 or over to purchase the following:
- Health Lottery tickets and the paying out of prizes
- Medicines for pain relief (including aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen and any products containing these products, e.g. Lempsip, adult Bonjela etc.) These items will be sold at a maximum of 2 packets or 32 tables per customer
- High caffeine tablets
- Party poppers and similar (including indoor fireworks, cracker snaps and throwdowns)
- Petrol (including Diesel and LPG)
- High caffeine energy drinks
Customers must be aged 12 or over to purchase the following:
We will also always ensure that magazines, DVDs and video games are age restricted as specified on the items.
Please note that additional products may be restricted in consideration of their content, packaging or quantities requested as deemed appropriate.
There are occasions when we need to restrict the sale of solvents to protect against volatile substance abuse. It is illegal for our colleagues to sell solvent-based products to customers if they believe they will be used for the purpose of becoming intoxicated.
Our colleagues are trained on the products we sell that can be abused and will restrict the sale where we deem it appropriate.
Last reviewed April 2021.